Ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun has long been known for its ability to deactivate microorganisms. Over the past decade technology However, it has only been in recent years that equipment producing UV light has been manufactured for residential use.
Energy produced by the UV lamp has the ability to destroy microorganisms that can live in water. There are five major groups of microorganisms that are altered by a specific spectrum of ultraviolet light: viruses, bacteria, fungi, algae, and protozoa. When these microbes are exposed to the proper amount of UV energy, their DNA structure is scrambled, and they are unable to reproduce. Since the cell is now sterile or dead, it is no longer a threat.
WARNING: NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT A LIGHTED UV LAMP. ULTRAVIOLET RAYS CAN BE HARMFUL TO EYES. UV energy is produced by low-pressure mercury vapor enclosed in a tubular lamp. While a UV lamp resembles a standard fluorescent lamp, it is similar in appearance only.